Pursuing the sustainability of PoliTO in terms of "green purchases " – throughout its five Campus - means buying materials for the university and employees following green public procurement guidelines (GPP protocols) in order to respect the environment without forgetting the cost effectiveness of supply.
Materials for the university and its employees are bought following the green public procurement guidelines, in order to respect the environment without forgetting the cost effectiveness of supply. The sustainability of Politecnico in this regards refers indeed to all its purchases - i.e., paper, food and beverages, cleaning products, IT products and goods of any kind - and part of the waste.
The related offices (AQUI and EDILOG) are obliged to do the best possible sustainable choice according to two protocols: one of the Ministry of Environment (http://www.minambiente.it/pagina/ criteri-ambientali-minimi - CAM) and one born from an initiative of the Province of Torino with ARPA, which is also joined by the City of Turin (http://www. comune.torino.it/ambiente/ape/index.shtml Public Procurement Ecological, EPA).
The university spent about 10 M € in 2015, of which over the 54% is conform to EPA protocols or CAM ones. The actions included are:
- GPP Protocol adherence (Green Public Procurement), promoted by the Province of Turin and the purchase of “green” equipment;
- Use of ecological cleaning products;
- Use and purchase of “green” information technology products;
- Consip convention;
- Initiatives to recover and reuse printed paper;
- Training courses for staff on the use of “green procurement”.